Well, it’s been almost a month, but Brian started first grade on August 23rd at Aviano Elementary. He was excited to head off to the “big building,” since Kindergarten was in its own building separate from the rest of the school. One advantage of the “big building,” he tells me, is that there are 4 huge playgrounds, a fact he is very excited about. His teacher is Mr. Wilson and his class is a Multi-age First/Second grade. I wasn’t sure what to think of this at first but it seems to be going well. Brian is a mature 6-year-old and never gets in trouble at school (home is a different story) so I think he is a good fit for a class with students both his age and older. He is already bringing home what looks to me like second grade math homework and he never needs my help with it. Reading is another story. I think he is about right on track for first grade reading but he loathes it. I’ve tried everything: bribery, yelling, Harry Potter. Nothing works yet. He has to do 20 minutes a day of reading at home and for now it’s just going to be a struggle to get him to do it. Fun. He loves loves loves drawing and will go through 10-15 sheets of paper a day drawing everything from rockets to jets to houses. He even recently started writing his own children’s book called “What Will I Be?” complete with illustrations. And he answered his own question by stating that he will be a book writer when he grows up. Not a book reader, just a writer.
Little sister was so excited for Brian’s first day of school. She was excited for him and was practically jumping for joy as we were getting ready that morning. Well, we assumed she was happy for him to go off and see his friends and learn but after we dropped Brian at school and were walking back to our car, she lets out a huge sigh and says “well, I guess Brian is not part of our family anymore!” So she was really just happy to get rid of him!
No comments:
Post a Comment