Back in the day (2002 to 2005) when we lived in Germany, getting mail was always exciting, it is even more so now that we have kids. In case you aren't familiar with the military mail system, we have an APO box where all of our mail comes to on base. The USPS delivers our mail and packages as far as our New York zip code and then the military mail service takes over. At that point, letters and packages get on planes (and maybe even ships?) on a space available basis and fly all over the world and to timbucktoo and back, before finally (hopefully) arriving all out of order and discombobulated. Okay, it's not that bad, it just sucks when all but 6 of your Christmas cards from friends and family arrive weeks after Christmas. But at least we have some way of getting letters and packages, I am grateful for that, just don't ask me how grateful when I've waited in line for 30 minutes to pick up 13 boxes and I have both kids with me "helping," and by helping, I mean fighting over who gets to hold which box and whose presents are inside which box and who Santa likes more and on and on. The picture on the top left was a few weeks after Christmas, when BAM! one day everything arrived. But it's either flood or famine with the mail because today all we got was Steve's government credit card bill from a TDY, due in 2 days, and a birthday card for Brian, whose birthday was 12 days ago, see what I mean? We love living over here and getting to experience the traveling and the culture but there are some definite inconveniences!

No comments:
Post a Comment