While there are definitely some challenges to raising children while simultaneously being career military folk, there are times when I’m grateful for some of the experiences our children get to have as Air Force brats. One of them happened last week when we were leaving the Commissary. We got no more than 15 feet from the building when retreat started blaring over the base loudspeaker. Retreat is the lowering of the flag and also signals the end of the duty day (for some, Steve is never ever ever home at 4:45pm on a duty day, we wouldn’t know what to do with him if that happened). Retreat is followed by the Italian National Anthem and then our National Anthem. When retreat begins, you stop, face the flag (even if you can’t see it), military members stand at attention and civilians with their hand over their heart during our National Anthem.
I’m not sure when Brian learned it, but since a young age he’s always known to stop, be still and quiet, hand over his heart, face the flag. This time he helped his sister by instructing her to stand up in the cart and showed her where to put her hand. When the Italian National Anthem began she says “Is this our song?!” and Brian says, rather annoyed, “No, this is the Italian one, it’s been translated from English to Italian, now be quiet!” It was so cute, I didn't have the heart to correct him. I will one day. But for now I love that our children are growing up to be proud Americans and hope that their time as Air Force brats teaches them the importance of military service.
No comments:
Post a Comment