Wednesday, March 20, 2013

To Market, To Market, To Buy a Fat Pig

mar2
Brian’s kindergarten class went on a walking field trip to the local Italian market yesterday. Emily and I tagged along for the shopping, scavenger hunt, and then lunch at a local Pizzeria. Above is our loot: gummies for Emily, chocolate malted eggs for Brian, and fried mince-meat-stuffed green olives for me, yum!
 
His school is on a part of the base located in the town of Aviano, which has an outdoor market every tuesday. When we first arrived to Italy, we visited a local market as part of our welcome tour. Before we got to the market, I was picturing a farmer’s market. I was wrong. It has the farmer’s market part, like fresh flowers, fruits and vegetables. But also sooooooooooo much more. You can get fake flowers, potted plants and trees, cheese and sausages, fish, canned goods, trucks full of candy, kitchen items, rugs, curtains, baskets, scarves, yarn and other crafty items, clothes, shoes, sunglasses, belts, wallets, and purses. Oh, the purses! I’m sure my list doesn’t even scratch the surface of what the market offers. It’s so big, they shut down several streets of the town to hold it every week, rain or shine. Most of the larger towns have a weekly market. We have one in the town of Maniago about 5 minutes from us every monday. I need to go to market more, it’s a neat Italian cultural experience. And you can buy purses, shoes, and candy, what’s not to love?!
mar3mar4mar5mar6mar7

No comments: