On July 4th, the kids and I boarded a plane in Venice and after about 15 hours, one Munich layover complete with airport running to make a flight, at least 10 potty breaks, many many movies, some super short naps, and two Emily vomiting incidents later, we touched down in Los Angeles. The day of travel actually was not that bad, the kids surprised me and surpassed my behavior expectations. Luckily I’d set my expectations low, basically no screaming, no fighting, and no kicking the seat in front of you. A few hours into the flight I asked Brian if this long trip was worth it to see everyone and go to Disneyland for 3 days and he gave me an excited “yes!” I asked again just a few hours before landing and he looked at me like he wanted to backhand me and mouthed a dramatic “no!”
It was sooooooo nice to be in the states for 3 weeks. We got to see lots and lots of our family and friends. We did tons of fun things and experienced all the American conveniences we used to take for granted, like Disneyland, fast food, the trampoline park, Palm Springs, stores being open all day and into the night, etc. I like Italy just fine, and I am enjoying another chance at living overseas, and the opportunity to teach our children about different countries and cultures, but I do feel like the U.S. is my home. Specifically California. And more specifically my parent’s house. There is no place like home.
My sister Julie and her kids, Grace, and twin babies, Brooks and Elise, were at my Mom and Dad’s house too for the first few days of our trip so the kids and I got to meet the babies and snuggle on them as much as possible since they will probably be huge the next time we see them in a year or two. Brian and Emily and Grace fit in as much play time together as possible in 3 days.
What our kids really do. All. Day. Long. But luckily not on the airplane.
No comments:
Post a Comment