Thursday, April 23, 2009

Pacy-free Zone!

Last night was the first night ever that Brian has slept without a pacifier. He had a pacifier in his mouth within his first hour of life (Steve and the nurses in the nursery got him hooked while I was recovering unknowingly in my postpardom room). But the pacys have provided him with many nights and naps of sucking comfort, until recently when the pacys would fall out of his big boy bed at night and Mommy would end up in Brian's room in the middle of the night on her hands and knees searching for the lost pacys so that the screaching child would go back to sleep! I decided a few weeks ago that the end of the pacy era was near (mostly so that I could get some sleep again and also because it would be rather embarassing if Brian asked for his pacy during naptime in kindergarten). I was just waiting for the perfect night to come and last night it did since Steve (aka the "nice" parent) was working late and would not be there to run the pacys back into Brian's room at the first sound of distress. I was prepared for an all out war at bedtime but it never came. Brian and I just discussed how pacys are for babies and he's a big boy now and that his pacys were broken (his chews them up) and that he wouldn't need them anymore. To my shock, he went to bed without a peep and slept until 8am within a sound! Yippee! Of course the broken pacys are hidden in my sock drawer, just in case, but hopefully we won't need them again!!!