
Our family is a blankie family. Our kids each have a "bunky" that follows them around the house. Brian has two actually. Neither can sleep without their "bunky." We also have several blankies that sit in a basket in our family room for the rare occasion when outside temperatures dip below 80 degrees and someone's feet get chilly. But mostly the blankies end up getting used as tents or forts or hiding places or peek-a-boo enablers. Toys, really. So, since blankies are in high demand in our house, I felt the urge to make another. Plus I saw a really cute rag quilt tutorial on
Pinterest and had to give it a try.

The fabric I used is
Heather Bailey's Pop Garden
Rag quilts are usually made with two layers of flannel, but I couldn't find any flannel fabric that I liked and I had seen one online that was made with cotton fabrics on the outside and a flannel inside. So that's what I did. All and all, it took me about 6 hours to make, at least 2 of which were making the tiny cuts on all the seems and getting covered in tiny bits of cotton fabric. Once I washed it twice and dried it, the little fabric bits were gone and it really hasn't tried to shed anymore. But that's probably because the kids have not gotten hold of it yet. My kids can scare a blankie into shedding.

Someone else has decided it's his "bunky" and now spends the better part of his naps cuddled up on the top of the couch.
No comments:
Post a Comment