This year around Christmas, I realized how poorly organized my gift wrapping supplies were and how I had way too many gift bags, some of which were not in great, reusable shape. And since I've been on an organizational binge due to our upcoming move and my discovery of this website:
i heart organizing, I decided it was time to do something. I was inspired by
this picture on pinterest and even found the organizer pictured on
Amazon. I considered that organizer but wanted something that would take full advantage of the entire back of the door on our storage area under the stairs. I have always heard wonderful things about the Elfa collection at the Container Store and they just happened to be on sale, yippee!

Here is how my wrapping stuff looked before. Shoved under the bed in Emily's room or in her closet, not ideal locations now that she is getting bigger and needing more of her bedroom space for herself and her stuff. Plus that dumb wrapping paper roll holder is too short for many of my rolls and so the lid would just sit akwardly on top. The under-the-bed storage container was all wonky from our last move and the lid wouldn't fit right, plus it was overflowing with way too many bags.

I decided I needed to purge, purge, and purge some more until I could fit all of my supplies on this over-the-door elfa rack. This rack worked perfectly for us since we are a military family and we move alot, we need something that does not get drilled into walls/doors and can go with us when we move. This organizer would also be great for a pantry or bathroom or laundry room or garage, so we will always be able to use it for something. Or at least that is how I justified the cost because Elfa is not cheap, even on sale.

Here is what I needed to purchase to create this storage:
77-3/4in Mounted Standard
Set of Two Residential Overdoor Hooks
3 Deep Baskets
1 Shallow Basket
1 Media Rack
Here is a link to all of the overdoor Elfa components
A deep basket holds about 15 paper rolls (with room for more) and the media rack holds them in place

A shallow basket on top fits all of my curling ribbons

Another deep basket holds my gift tags and stickers, a handful of gift boxes, wrapping tissue, and some more ribbon

And yet another deep basket holds all the gift bags I kept. I purged and tossed anything ripped, torn, old looking or just plain ugly. I made sure to keep a handful in each category: holiday, baby, wedding, birthdays, etc. I probably still have 40 or so bags and they all fit in this rack.
So, now all my gift wrap is in one convenient space on a door that was doing nothing to help me organize before. It kinda just stood there doing nothing. But Elfa and I put this door to work and we didn't even need to drill one hole! The whole set up of the rack took literally 3 minutes and sorting and organizing took about an hour total.
25 comments:
Hi Kelly,
Found you thru iheartorganizing. I am dying to organize my gift wrap so this perfect! I love that you included the product list too. Looks awesome!!!
I found this through iHeartOrganizing as well and this is great!
Hi Kelly,
I found you thru iheartorganizing. Well done! It looks great!
I also found this thru iheartorganizing. Your finished project looks so professional. One question- how much of the over door hooks can you see from the outside when the door is closed? Your doors are white but ours are stained so it would be more noticeable. That's the one hang up that's keeping me from buying it right now!
What a great idea! I think I've just found my next weekend project. Thanks for sharing!
Love what you've done with the space! I'm inspired to get my wrapping paper all in one place and out of the cobwebs in the basement. Thanks for sharing!
Love what you did. Looks amazing!!! Came here through iHeartOrganizing as well.
at Lisa--you only see about 1/4 inch by 2 inches but it is white. Maybe you could paint that part brown to blend into the door better?
Just pinned this. Thanks for sharing !
Hi Kelly! I also found you through iHeartOrganizing. I saw the same BHG picture and love how they used it for gift wrap. I'm just sad because all of my closet doors are sliding bi-folds. :(
So jealous that you get to use this system and you did a great job with it!
This is so cute! My mom has such a hard time finding ways to store this stuff, it usually just gets stuffed under her bed and ruined by the time the next year rolls around (no pun intended, okay, maybe a little.) I'm going to show this to her for sure!
-Jess @ That's Sew Crafty
Hi Kelly! Found you through iHeartOrganizing also and wanted to tell you that you totally inspired me!! I just went to The Container Store taking advantage of their 30% off sale right now and re-created your wrapping station. I LOVE IT! I can't believe how many bags I had, now that I can see them all! Thanks so much for sharing!
Oh, the guy at the Container Store that helped me, said he'd never heard of using the media shelf for wrapping paper storage....so kudos to you for thinking of it!
I also found you through iheartorganizing, and I'm SO glad I did! I'm also a USAF wife and new mommy, and we also rent.
I love all the organizing ideas I stumble across on the web, but often times they involve permanent solutions. I LOVE that you've given me some ideas that will go with us and won't do any damage to our home. I'm definitely adding you to my subscribed list. :)
I do have one question for you: I have a HUGE bin of bows. I love bows for wrapped boxes, and I always stock up after Christmas. Do you not use bows at all?
Another one who found you through Iheartorganizing. I'm buying these RIGHT NOW!! I've been looking for something like this and never thought about Elfa stuff. So glad they're on sale right now too! :)
Thanky you so much for sharing!!! I also found you through IheartOrganizing and LOVE how you took the inspiration BH&G photo and made it work for you and your home!!!
I will be pinning this and keeping it on my "future" project list (since Elfa comes on sale EVERY New Year ;)
Once again, GREAT JOB!
@Priscilla, I do sometimes use bows but I usually buy only what I need and use them right away. And when I did the re-org, everything I had was crushed and yucky due to the disorgization before. But you could easily use another basket to store all your bows!
That would have to be one GOOD sized basket. ;) Thanks for the reply, Kelly!
I too found you through iheartorganizing. You came up with a fantastic idea and I thank you so much for sharing it. I'm going to copy it because 1) it looks awesome and is so functional and 2) I'd love to free up the space under the beds where the gift wrap is currently located :) I looked at the components online and see there's regular or narrow deep/shallow baskets. Did you use the shallow or regular ones? TIA
loved your post! Awesome idea and thank you so much for giving us details about what to get and where. I totally need that kind of detail. Thanks for sharing!!
Love this! Thanks for posting, I used your idea to make my own elfa wrapping organizer. Awesome!
Hi Kelly. I also found this through IheartOrganizing! Found it last Subday, ordered the components although couldn't see the media rack on the website I was ordering from (I am in the UK). Drafted in a friend in NY to send me the media rack but then phoned my supplier and they did have the media rack but it wasn't on the website! It arrived in Friday and I spent a happy hour yesterday putting your ideas to work! We ended up screwing the supports to the door as it was marginally too long with the over door hangers. It looks fantastic and I keep opening the door to look at it!
Well done you for coming up with the idea!
I also found this post on iheartorganizing through Pinterest. I LOVE this! I am moving my craft room to a smaller room to accommodate our growing family and I needed a gift wrap solution. I love yours so much more than the inspiration version. Thanks for all of the details. Now to wait for the next Elfa sale (I hear it might be in August?) and convince the husband :-).
I saved this on my pinterest board a few months ago and I just bought all the stuff and put it together today! I'm so excited and it looks soooo good! Now I just need to go get more wrapping paper to fill the bottom since it hold so much!!! Thanks for this great idea!
Jennifer
I love your door organization. I too have a container that doesn't fit my rolls properly and I've had it. I'm ready to get rid of it and make all my supplies nice and pretty. Your end result looks great!
I also found you on pinterest. :)
Thank you for including all of the components. I'm seriously thinking about getting this too. :)
Post a Comment