.....like a two-year-old's tantrum. I discovered this morning that my son has never actually had a tantrum, until today, that is. What I previously thought were tantrums, were just little hissy fits, like a little angry kitten compared to the monstrous lion of a tantrum that took over my child this morning. It all started when my phone rang and the whining began. After the short, 30-second phone call was over, Brian launched into the angry-kitten-hissy-fit. I could tell he wanted me no where near him (mostly because he was screaming "no, no, NO!" when I tried to comfort him) so I wondered off into the next room to clean up his overturned wagon of blocks. Apparently that was the wrong move and sent Brian into a downward spiral of thrashing about on the floor, flailing, kicking, screaming, sobbing with all his might. I swear I saw his head spin around a few times. GEESH! It's not like I even asked him to help clean up--his maid service was doing the clean up for him. He hadn't touched the blocks in at least an hour and they were in no coherent pattern or design, so as far as I could tell, I wasn't ruining some grand creation. I must have been wrong because ten minutes later, he was still in the throngs of a tantrum. I had no idea what to do--was he hungry? thirsty? tired? Probably all three but he wouldn't take anything I offered to him or even let me hold him. Finally I moved him to our bed because he loves playing in the bed, but he immediately jumped down, ran into our bathroom and slammed the door in my face! As I was heading to the kitchen to pull out the yellow pages to look up "exorcist" services, a light went on in my head--I ran straight to his room and grabbed his favorite blue blankie ("bunky" around here) and dashed with bunky to the bathroom. After his minute alone in the bathroom, he had calmed down slightly (tears and snot were still flowing freely but his head had stopped spinning) and he grabbed bunky out of my hands to cuddle it quietly. I held my breath as we sat on the bathroom floor, hoping the worst was over. A few minutes later we were happily playing with Thomas the Train, no exorcism was required after all. I just hope he never does that in public!!

The recovering tantrum victim (or am I the victim?)
2 comments:
I think you're definitely the victim there... Posts like this don't bode well for couins for Brian from Steve's side of the family. :p ~Amanda
So funny! Although I probably won't be laughing in about 13 months when Caroline will be the one on the floor kicking and screaming. I am filing the lovey trick in the back of my head for later!
Post a Comment