
This is a first for us. We rented a fish this week. We decided a quick family trip was in order to get away from the packing and stress of reconstitution and the looming PCS, so we drove up to Asheville, NC for two nights to see the Biltmore Estate. When we checked into our hotel room, there were beta fish in bowls on the service counter, with signs advertising the fish for rent for $1 a night, the donations going to the local Autism charity. So, in the interest of charity and teaching Brian about fish, we rented our first fish. Maybe one day we will own instead. When I carried the fish and bowl into our room, Brian ran straight over to me, pointing at the fish and the following conversation ensued:
Brian (pointing at fish): Nummies!!!
Mommy: No, not nummies, this is a fish.
Brian: nummy!
Mommy: no, fish are not food.
Brian (signing "more" with his hands): num, num, num!
Mommy: the fish is a pet, not food.
Brian: does anyone have a harpoon and some tarter sauce?
Okay, so maybe I embellished the last line a little, but Brian really did think I brought him a snack. We were a little worried after that, so the fish we named "Cookie Monster" ended up on a high dresser and Brian was distracted by some cookies. He did blow kisses to the fish and say bye-bye every time we left the room, so by the end of the two nights, I think he understood the concept of a pet fish. 

Waving to Cookie Monster

Kissing Cookie Monster
3 comments:
HAHA, oh gosh that's too funny! I love it. What a cute idea to rent fish at a hotel too!
What a great fundraiser idea...
That's hilarious he thought it was 'nummies'. :)
Laura just told me this story yesterday. Brian couldnt be any cuter! I love it!
Post a Comment