Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Brian's Valentines

Brian started at a new preschool at the beginning of the month and brought these Sees sucker bouquets to his new teachers and the school directors. It's never too early to "suck up." Pun intended. They were easy to make (and cheap, especially if you use cheap suckers, I chose to buy fancy suckers) Here is where I got the idea:
Then for Valentine's Day, we made his school friends some heart shaped crayons. They were also easy to make and he could really help me with these. His favorite part was breaking up the crayons with a hammer. Any excuse to break stuff and not get in trouble.

Start now collecting the restaurant crayons you get free everywhere you go. We must eat out alot because we had tons! I sat in front of the tv one afternoon and peeled the damn paper off every crayon! It took forever and I still have crayon under my never-manicured nails! (Not really, that would be gross)

Divide them up by color, put em in a baggie and go to town on them with a hammer!

Keeping them divided by color, fill the wells of a silicone mold. This one is from Michaels, but of course after I paid $9.99 for it, I saw similiar ones in the Target dollar section. Ugh. Just make sure whatever you buy is oven-safe! I think you could also use metal pans but then you might have trouble getting the crayon out? These just popped right out.

Bake em at 350 degrees til the crayon turns completely liquid. This took about 9 minutes for my particular mold, crayons, and oven.

I just set them out on the counter to cool and harden for a few hours.

And wah-lah! A whole bunch of heart shaped crayons!

We bagged a couple up for each friend and sealed the bag with these stickers I had made by Olliegraphic. And then Brian made sure to tell his friends that these are crayons and not candy!