Sunday, October 9, 2011

Fat Cheeks and a Fat Lip

Brian and I both had quite an adventurous day on friday. As for me, I finally gave in to what probably 5 dentists had been telling me for 10 years or so, "You need to have your wisdom teeth out." I have been lucky (?) enough to inherit the gigantic Harris mouth, which means I had all kinds of room in there for 4 extra teeth. My Dad actually had 5 wisdom teeth, although he pulled one of them himself while in the dentist's chair to avoid any additional insurance co-pay (true story). But I decided to leave the teeth pulling to the professionals, so friday morning I popped a Xanax*** and off we went to the oral surgeon. One minute I was talking to the nurse and next thing I knew, I was being loaded into the front seat of our van, demanding a trip to the smoothie place. I took an hour nap or so when we got home, milked my "condition" for a while in the afternoon so I could finish reading a very juicy US magazine but by late afternoon, I was downstairs with the family, making and cleaning up after dinner, bathing and putting the kiddos to bed like normal. I had no pain, very little swelling and overall, I don't know why I was dreading it so badly for 10 years. And of course Steve was helpful, taking over some mommy duties the day of. He even folded a load of laundry for me while I was sleeping, I just wish he had told me because later that day I spent 10 minutes looking for that basket of clothes!
As for Brian, I made arrangements for the kids so Steve wouldn't have to entertain them in the waiting room. Emily went to "school" and Brian off to a friend's house. Just before Steve picked him up, his friend's super adorable and usually sweet little brother popped him in the mouth with a big rock. He got quite the fat lip, but it's not the worst he's ever had and it sort of makes him look tough. I didn't mind sharing my peas-bagged-in-a-sock ice bags with him!
***the Xanax was prescribed, I don't usually need to be medically calmed and it actually just made me feel tired, but the sensation that I didn't want my teeth pulled never did go away. I guess they prescribe it to all their patients, I assume they don't want anyone freaking out the morning of and backing out of their $1200 elective surgery, just a guess though.

No comments: