Sunday, December 9, 2012

American Military Cemetery in Florence

On our way home from Tuscany, we stopped at the Florence American Cemetery and Memorial (it happened to be Veteran's Day) to pay our respects to the 4,402 Americans buried here who were killed in action during World War 2. I've seen Arlington, and Steve and I have been to Normandy and seen the WWII cemeteries there but we are always in awe of the beauty of our overseas cemeteries and sad for the massive numbers of white crosses and stars. I feel like it is my duty as an American living overseas to seek out these memorials and spend 30 minutes of our day walking through them and remembering how grateful we still are for the sacrifices of these men who were sons, and husbands, and fathers, and friends. It is important for us to show this to our children and begin the childhood-long conversation with them about service and sacrifice and gratitude.
 
"Time will not dim the glory of their deeds."
-General of the Armies WWI, John J. Pershing, First Chairman of the American Battle Monuments Commission


Akward family cemetery photo! I had mixed feelings about taking a family picture here but I think it's good we will have this to show the kids. Oh and look at the giant leaf Brian is holding, those leaves were everywhere and the kids enjoyed collecting them during our walk.

No comments: