Our squadron does this awesome trip every year in December that serves as our squadron Christmas party and ski trip. We went to the Tirol region in Austria. Basically, it's in the Alps, between Innsbruck and Salzburg. It was awesome! So much fun for the whole family. There was skiing for Steve (and Brian took a lesson too). A spa for me. A huge playplace/babysitting for the kids. Heaven!
We woke up to this the morning we were supposed to drive up to Tirol, about 4 hours away. I didn't even know it was supposed to snow, I hadn't been paying attention to weather forecasts. The Southern Californian in me was panicking and saying (out loud!) things like "Oh my gosh, we didn't salt the driveway, will we be able to get the van out?!" Seriously, it's just a dusting. I'm slowly getting used to this snow thing. But it did continue to snow all the way along our drive from our house until Villach, about 2 hours away. The roads (and our driveway) were fine though.
We stopped in Villach for lunch at a little Biergarten we found on a previous trip. Everyone smiles for German food!
Then the kids begged and begged and threatened until we let them ride these train and car rides in the middle of Villach's Christmas Market.
The kids enjoyed watching the ice skaters while Daddy and I took turns looking in the Trachten shop (traditional Bavarian clothing). Brian watched the skaters for a few minutes and then turned to me and said "I get it, I could totally do this! They just put on those shoes with the blades and walk, easy!"
After getting a little carried away in Villach with the lunch/shopping/Christmas Marketing, we finally made it up to the resort, arriving just in time to feed the kids, get all done up nice in our Trachten wear, get the nanny set up to put the kids to bed and settle in to our first of two squadron dinners.





No comments:
Post a Comment